As COVID-19, the novel coronavirus, impacts all aspects of our lives and as businesses close in response to Governor Cuomo’s Executive Order, many undocumented workers and families are left in a state of uncertainty.
Pechman Law Group has represented hundreds of undocumented workers throughout New York and we understand the difficulties faced by the undocumented community during this pandemic. Below, we have compiled a list of resources available to the undocumented community in New York during this unstable time.
Funds and Resources
• NYSYLC has created a fund for undocumented youth and families in the wake of coronavirus crisis. If you wish to apply for this fund, please email email@example.com for more information.
• RAISE NYC’s Undocu Workers Fund will support undocumented workers in the service industry who will not have the privilege to apply for unemployment benefits during the COVID-19 health crisis. The fund will be distributed to undocumented workers at restaurants in Manhattan & Brooklyn. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Betancourt Macias Family Scholarship Foundation – If you are undocumented yourself or have family members who are undocumented and have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, click on this link to fill out the request form.
• ROC United has listed national and city/state resources available to restaurant workers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
• The Coronavirus Care Fund was established by the National Domestic Workers Alliance to provide emergency assistance for home care workers, nannies and house cleaners to support them in staying safe and staying home to slow the spread of the coronavirus and to care for themselves and their families.
• Nueva Yorkinos has compiled a list of resources available during this crisis.
• National Domestic Workers Alliance (NDWA) have created a National Domestic Workers Alliance Emergency Fund. At this time, the Coronavirus Care Fund application is open to domestic workers who have participated in NDWA activities, NDWA chapters, affiliate organizations, circles and current Alia users.
• Restaurant Worker Community Fund has funds available for restaurant workers in need of financial assistance. You can apply for financial assistance on their website.
• New York State Coronavirus Hotline – 1 (888) 364-3065
o For Spanish Updates: Text COVID to 692-692
• Tenants’ Rights Hotline – (212) 979-0611
• NYC Well – Connect to Free & Confidential Mental Health & Substance UseSupport
o (888) NYC-WELL
o Text WELL to 65173
• National Domestic Violence Hotline – 1 (800) 799-7233
• Family Justice Centers – Queens Number: (718) 575-4545
Food Pantries/Food Assistance
Many local restaurants and food pantries are providing lunches for students and families whose daily lives have been disrupted due to the coronavirus shutdowns. You can also find a list of food pantries/soup kitchens, organized by borough, by clicking this link.
• Jackson Diner – 37-47 74th Street Jackson Heights, NY 11372
o Complimentary boxed lunch for any needy families with kids. Please email us at email@example.com
• Blessed Virgin Mary Help of Christians Church – 70-31 48th Ave, Woodside, NY 11377
o Food Pantry: Thursdays, 9:30a – 12pm
• First Baptist Church – 100-10 Astoria Blvd, East Elmhurst, NY 11369 P: (718) 446-0200
o Soup Kitchen on Wed 12pm-1pm,
o Food Pantry Sat at 12pm-2pm
• St Mark AME Church – The Voices of Hagar Food Pantry – 95-18 Northern Blvd, Jackson Heights, NY 11372 P: 718-205-0506
o Food Pantry on Tue 12pm-2:30pm
• Corona SDA Church, 35-30 103rd Street, Corona, NY 11368, P: 718-429-7050
o Soup Kitchen – Sun 12pm – 2pm
o Food Pantry – Mon 9am -11am
• Salvation Army, Queens Temple, 86-07 35th Ave, Jackson Heights, NY 11372, P: 718-335-3693
o Soup Kitchen: Mon-Fri 12pm–1pm
• New Immigrant Community Empowerment, La Jornada, and World Central Kitchen and Assembly Member Catalina Cruz are giving meals to community members in Queens. Please call 718-458-5367.
• Abundant Life Tabernacle, 2692 3rd Avenue, Bronx, NY 10454, (718) 292-8734
o Pantry Hours: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 12:30am-2:00pm
o Please bring picture ID and proof of address
• Catholic Charities Rusty Staub Mobile Food Pantry at Highbridge Community Life Center, 1527 Jesup Avenue, Bronx, NY 10452, (212) 371-1011
o Mobile Food Pantry Hours: Fridays, 10:00am-2:30pm
• Door of Salvation Ministries, 460 E 134th Street, Bronx, NY 10454, (718) 993-5532
o Pantry Hours: Monday – Friday, 2:00pm-5:00pm
• Highbridge Advisory Council, 880 River Avenue, Bronx, NY 10452, (718) 992-8539
o Pantry Hours: Monday – Friday, 2:00pm-5:00pm
• Missionaries of Charity, 335 E 145th Street, Bronx, NY 10451, (718) 292-0019
o Pantry Hours: Shelter | Soup Kitchen, 9:30am
• Missionary Church of Christ, 937 Teller Avenue, Bronx, NY 10451, (718) 588-4545
o Pantry Hours: 2nd & 4th Wednesday of the month: 9:00am-11:00am
• Salvation Army — Bronx Citadel, 425 E. 159th Street, Bronx, NY 10451, (718) 665-8472
o Pantry Hours: Tuesday, 10:00am (120 person limit)
o Soup Kitchen: Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays: 1:00pm-2:00pm
o To receive food, individuals must reside in: 10451, 10452, 10454, 10455, 10459, 10465, 10472, 10473, and 10474.
• World Central Kitchen and Assembly Member Michael Blake are giving meals to community members in the Bronx. Please call 718-538-3829.
• Feeding Westchester, our Mobile Food Pantry brings fresh protein, dairy, produce, and grains directly to areas where it’s needed. Our Mobile Food Pantry utilizes a “client choice” model and distributes to sites such as libraries, local schools, and community centers. Please contact MobilePantry@FeedingWestchester.Org or 914-923-1100 for any questions.
• Long Island Cares operates satellite locations including, its own emergency food pantries at several community locations. The public is encouraged to visit the location closest to them if they are in need of food. To insure the safety of our staff and our limited number of volunteers, our satellite centers will serve 6 families at a time and limit the number of people in our waiting rooms. The following locations are part of our program:
o The Harry Chapin Regional Food Bank, 10 Davids Drive (Harry Chapin Way), Hauppauge, NY, (631) 582-FOOD
o Nassau Center for Collaborative Assistance, 21 East Sunrise Highway, Freeport, NY, (516) 442-5221
o South Shore Service Center, 163-1 North Wellwood Avenue, Lindenhurst, NY, (631) 991-8106
o Long Island Cares First Stop Pantry/Harry Chapin Humanitarian Center, 220 Broadway, Huntington Station, (631) 824-6384
o Baxter’s Pet Pantry & Retail Food Rescue Center, 161 North Wellwood Avenue, Lindenhurst, (631) 991-8106
o Hunger Assistance & Humanitarian Center of the Hamptons, 286 West Montauk Highway, Hampton Bays, (631) 613-3344